Wednesday, January 24, 2018

The Chain Stitch

Now that you have your yarn attached to your hook with a slip knot, it's time to learn your fist stitch. Most patterns that are worked back and forth in rows will begin with a foundation chain, or a series of chain stitches on which you will build your crochet pattern. Some patterns which are worked in circles or rounds will also use a chain, with the ends connected to make a loop. Let's get started.



To make a chain stitch, start with a hook that already has a slip knot on it. I'm right handed, so I like to hold the hook in my right hand and the working end of the yarn in my left. How you hold the yarn is up to you, but I feel like I have the most control when I hold the working end of the yarn with my ring and pinkie fingers and let my index finger keep the yarn nice and taut. I use my middle finger and thumb to hold the slip knot that's on the hook in place.


Use the hook to grab the working end of the yarn.

Pull the hook and the working end of the yarn through the slip knot.

You now have one loop of yarn on your hook and one dangling off your hook. You've made one chain stitch!

Repeatedly use the hook to grab the yarn and pull it through the loop on the hook to make a long chain.

You're done! Next post, we'll learn how to join a chain into a loop so that we can eventually make a granny square, which is a short crochet project worked in rounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment