Wednesday, January 24, 2018

The Slip Knot

It might seem strange to have an entire post about the slip knot, but this is the starting point for any crochet project you will ever do, so it's very important. The slip knot is how you attach the yarn to your hook to begin crocheting in the first place. It's also a good place to learn our first two terms: the tail end and the working end of the yarn. The tail end of the yarn is the few inches that will dangle off the beginning of your project. At the very end, you'll weave this tail in to hide it, either with your hook or with a yarn needle (more on this in a later post). The working end of the yarn is the part of the yarn that connects your project to the ball or skein -- the yarn you're working with. So let's get started making our slip knot.

Here's a video, as well as pictures and written instructions.

I'm right handed, so I'm going to pick up the yarn a few inches from the end with my left hand, so the tail is poking out by my pinkie and the working end is coming out by my thumb.


With my right hand, I'm going to wrap the working end of the yarn loosely around my left index finger to make a loop. Notice that the working end of the yarn passes in front.

Now I'm going to pull my left index finger back to pinch the loop closed. The loop should be nice and open and nothing should be covering it now.

Next, I'll pick up my crochet hook in my right hand and push the hook through the loop from the front. That means I'm pushing the hook away from myself to go through the loop.

I'm going to use the hook now to grab the working end of the yarn. This is very important! Make sure you grab the working end and not the tail end!

Next, I'll pull the hook back towards myself so the working end of the yarn comes through the loop.

Finally, I'll pull on both ends of the yarn to tighten the knot and form a loop of yarn around the crochet hook.

And that's it! You now have a slip knot on your hook, ready to start a beautiful crochet project!




No comments:

Post a Comment